Tuesday, March 9, 2010

White Chocolate Lime Macadamia Cookies

If you’re tiring of all the French food, I have the remedy in this fine American cookie. Inspired by this recipe from Baking Bites, these cookies are just the thing to bring a hint of the tropical to a New England mid-winter.

We’re finally getting glimmers and intimations of spring, but I baked these up before my recent vacation. In mid-February Connecticut, reminders of the tropical are in exceedingly short supply.
I prefer slightly less sweet cookies, so I cut the amount of sugar from the Baking Bites recipe and, because I prefer cakey-textured cookies, I reduced the butter. I also upped the flour and added some vanilla.  Given its sunshine flavors, I decided that this cookie would benefit from a little bit of coconut and threw in a half cup; I did not regret this addition (though I'm sure the cookies would have been perfectly tasty without it).

White Chocolate Macadamia Lime Cookies
1 ¾ sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cups white sugar
1 large egg and 1 egg yolk
zest of one large lime
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tsp salt
½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 12-oz. bag white chocolate chips
1 ½ cups chopped, toasted macadamia nuts (I use dry roasted salted nuts from Trader Joe’s)

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and egg yolk, lime zest, and vanilla.

In a small bowl, sift or whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in coconut. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, then stir into wet ingredients.

Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet.

Bake for 12-16 minutes, or until just barely brown at the edges. Makes 3-4 dozen.


These are lovely little cookies and a nice change from plain chocolate chip. I can’t think of other exciting superlatives for them at the moment. They’re just a scrumptious, easy cookies.

I imagine the world is always enriched by another good cookie recipe.

Printable recipe here.

4 comments:

  1. They look lovely, and I'm sure they are equally tasty. Macadamia cookies are my favorites~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to bear that in mind for future lab baking. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies look so plump and golden... I love the flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were indeed quite tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete